Wednesday, January 7, 2009

To Build or Not To Build

I wrote this while still in Austin, but never posted it!

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Austin (one of my favorite places in the world) watching yet another new building going up in the city. There are people on every level of this 10 story building walking around doing various jobs. It's quite a site to behold. However, as I'm watching all of this motion and industriousness take place I notice that the view of the river is greatly diminished by the addition of the building. I can only see a small part of the river. What little I can see is gorgeous as it's glimmering in the sunlight. It got me to thinking...

How often do we get so busy building up "things" and allow others to help us build it up and all the while we are blocking out our Life Source. Obviously there are things that have to be built; we must work and be industrious for the Kingdom of God. We have to take care of our family. However, we shouldn't do this at the expense of losing our vision. The river was still there, i.e. God doesn't leave us, but He does give us a choice of how we spend our time and resources. It's up to us to use them wisely.

Lord, show me where I've built things up and blocked the vision You gave me. Give me the courage to go where You want me to go and do the things You are calling me to. Forgive me for building anything up in front of You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: