Monday, November 3, 2008

One Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus

Remember that song?

One day at a time sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Just give me the strength
To do everyday what I have to do
Yesterdays gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Lord help me today, show me the way
One day at a time

Been there? I stay there! Personally, I think we all ought to stay in that place. It's humbling. We're a quick fix-it generation. We have access to so many different technologies that makes life so much simpler; however, we shouldn't translate life's functionality over to fixing emotional and spiritual needs. We should always look to God...He is where our help comes from!

I shared a devotional yesterday as I always do on Sunday mornings with my Caregiver staff. It was on Jehovah-Jireh (see Genesis 22:1-19). One of the questions was - "Can you imagine taking the 3 day journey to Mt. Moriah to put an end to that which God had promised?" Wow! That struck me. God stopped the forward progression of the knife in Abraham's hand to keep His promise to Abraham. However, He did not stop the forward progression of Christ's sacrifice so that you and I can have eternal life in Him. What grace!

The next time I feel like I'm on a 3 day journey to Mt. "Whatever", singing "One Day at a Time, Sweet Jesus", I hope to remember that God's promises are true. His love never fails. His joy is my strength. Don't worry about tomorrow - it may not be mine. My life is in His hands.

1 comment:

LOLI said...

I remember that song! Good word of encouragement!